Book Code: 1111015976786
S. Jeyaseela Stephen
All Prices are including Free shipping via Air-Mail
The Title 'Goodbye to Tamil Motherland: The Rise of Labour Migration Overseas and the Society, 1729-1890 written/authored/edited by S. Jeyaseela Stephen', published in the year 2019. The ISBN 9789353241384 is assigned to the Hardcover version of this title. This book has total of pp. 180 (Pages). The publisher of this title is GenNext Publication. This Book is in English. The subject of this book is Labour Development. Size of the book is 14.34 x 22.59 cms POD
ABOUT THE BOOK
This book examines the role played by institutions, employers, politics and the inventiveness of Tamil migrants themselves in shaping the labour markets instead of theorization the production relations that determined migration. It explores the patterns of migration, occupation, adaptation, causes, correlates, consequences and trends. The volume explains the indentured labour, the mobility of workers and return, poverty and labour migration, colonial policy, the demand for labour work overseas, culture of labourers, status in society and the relationship with the evolving colonial state.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
S. Jeyaseela Stephen is Directeur, Institut pour études Indo-Européennes. He was Professor of Maritime History (2001-2013) at Visva-Bharati University, Santiniketan. He is the author numerous books on maritime history of early modern India including 'Oceanscapes: Tamil Textiles in the Early Modern World' (2014), 'A Meeting of the Minds: European and Tamil Encounters in Modern Sciences, 1507-1857' (2016), 'Pondicherry under the French: Illuminating the Urban Landscape' (2018). He received the best book prize of the year 1999 from the Government of Tamilnadu. His books have been translated into Chinese and Tamil.
Acknowledgements . 7
Abbreviations . 9
1. Introduction . 11
2. Free Labour and Coolie Migration under the French from Pondicherry and Karaikal to Mauritius and Reunion and the Social Life of the Tamils in the Colonies, 1729-1883 . 37
3. Indenture Labour Tamil Migrants from Pondicherry and
Karaikal to the French West Indies and the Life Style in the
Sugar Plantations, 1851-90. 55
4. Immigration of Tamils from Madras and the Indentured Labour Contracts for Mauritius: Understanding the Lived and Remembered Lives of the Migrants, 1829-90 . 75
5. Migration of Wage Labour Tamils to Ceylon and the Social Life of the Migrants in the Coffee Plantations under the British, 1828-83 . 97
6. Social Life of the Tamil Merchant Migrants, Exiled Convicts and Coolies in Malaya, 1786-1870 . 113
7. Conclusion. 143
Index . 173
www.gyanbooks.com is not be responsible for typing or photographical mistake if any. Prices are subject to change without notice.
© 2003-19 GYAN BOOKS PRIVATE LIMITED. All Rights Reserved.
Last updated: 21-Sep-2019 Designed by IndiaPRIDE.com