Book Code: 9789386397744
Edited by:- Dr. Effat Yasmin, Dr. Javaid Iqbal Khan
All Prices are including Free shipping via Air-Mail
The Title Critical Reflections and Explorations in Regional Development: Insights from North West India written/authored/edited by Edited by:- Dr. Effat Yasmin, Dr. Javaid Iqbal Khan, published in the year 2018. This book has total of pp. 308.This Book is in english.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Research on aspects of regional development in India has a long tradition. However, almost all the published works in this area seem to have overlooked the importance of focused, in depth analysis of development dynamics within a particular region. In most of the studies intra-regional comparisons have been at the center stage. Drawing inter-regional comparisons has its own advantages, but an in-depth analysis within the concerned regions seems to have taken the back seat. It is in this backdrop that an attempt has been made in the present book to focus specifically on regional development. Efforts have been made to study development dynamics in the highly diverse north western India at the disaggregated sectoral level. This book will broaden understanding of various challenges faced by the region in post reform period of high macroeconomic growth. Further, research on comparable lines in other states of the region can lead to a rich literature for fruitful policy interventions in a broader perspective. This book is intended to meet the requirements of a variety of stakeholders in policy formulation, planning and practice of Growth and Development. It will go a long way in explicating the inhibitions to inclusive development within a regional setting in general and in North-West India, in particular. Over and above this, the present volume is expected to meet the academic requirements of scholars, students and the general readers across a broad spectrum..
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Effat Yasmin is Professor at Department of Economics, University of Kashmir, Srinagar. She has a teaching and research experience of 20 years. She has been writing on issues pertaining public finance, rural development, women empowerment, and human resource development. She has authored two books based on her research work and four text books in the areas of money, banking, finance and political economy. She has edited one book on Jammu and Kashmir economy. She has published number of papers in reputed national and international journals. She participated in United States International Visitors Leadership Programme (2006) and visited several Universities in United States. She is member of University Grants Commission pioneered forum to combat violence against women in the University campus. She has contributed to university corporate life in various capacities over the period of time.
Dr. Javaid Iqbal Khan is Sr. Assistant Professor at the Department of Economics University of Kashmir, Hazratbal Srinagar. He has teaching experience of 10 years at college and university levels. His areas of Research Interest include labor market segregation and Conflict Economics. He has edited one book on Jammu and Kashmir economy and authored 6 text books meant for students at Masters level in the areas of Microeconomics, Quantitative techniques, Indian Economy and J&K Economy. He has to his credit a good number of Papers published in his areas of interest, besides occasional papers on women empowerment, Centre-State Relations and Islamic Economics.
Preface . 9
List of Contributors . 11
Abbreviations . 13
Introduction . 17
1. Development Issues in North West India . 37
— Sucha Singh Gill
• Introduction • The Development Paradigm • Social Harmony: Peace and Development • Sustainability, Development and Co-operation • Conclusion
2. Growth and Development in North Western India: An Analysis of Major Issues. 49
— R.L. Bhat
• Introduction • Economic Growth • Poverty • Unemployment • Population Growth and Vital Statistics • Literacy rate • Human Development • Financial Health • Some Concluding Remarks • References.
3. Structural Transformation in Northern States of India .63
— Mudasir Afshan
• Introduction • Pattern and Economic Growth in Northern Region • Sectoral Growth and trends- of Northern States – Comparative analysis (based on linear and exponential growth model) • Delhi • Haryana • Himachal Pradesh • Punjab • Uttar Pradesh • Conclusion • References.
4. An Empirical Study of Disparities within North Western Region. 83
— Aijaz Ahmad Bhat & Javaid Iqbal khan
• Abstract • Introduction • Inter-state differences in per capita income in north Indian states • Human development disparities • Poverty • Unemployment
• Conclusion • References.
5. A Comparative Study of Income Inequality of North-Western States of India . 95
— Fayaz Ahmad Bhat & Effat Yasmin
• Abstract • Introduction • Data and Methodology • Results and Discussion • Conclusion • References.
6. Inequality of opportunity in employment in North Indian States . 107
— Javaid Iqbal Khan
• Abstract • Introduction • Data and its analysis • Conclusion • References • Notes.
7. Health Micro Insurance and Healthcare Utilisation in North India . 117
— Sheikh Aftaab-ul-Maroof and Mohi-ud-Din Sangmi
• Abstract • Introduction • Review of Literature • Objectives • Hypothesis • Data collection • Sampling Design • Results and Discussion • Delay in treatment
• Source of Healthcare • Inter-state comparison • Conclusion • References.
8. Economic & Ecological Implications of Climatic Variability in North Western Himalayas. 135
— Dr Mohammad Shafi Bhat
• Abstract • Introduction • Impact of climatic variability in Punjab • Impact of climatic variability on the volume and discharge of rivers • Impact of climatic variability in Himachal Pradesh • Conclusion • References.
9. Institutional Aspects of Groundwater Management in North Indian States . 157
— Dr Falendra K. Sudan
• Abstract • Introduction • Groundwater Scenario • Groundwater Institutions • Groundwater Regulation • Groundwater Recharge • Conclusion and Policy Options • References.
10. Hydro-Power Development and Its Pricing in North Indian States . 179
— Dr Falendra K. Sudan
• Abstract • Introduction • Review of Power Sector Reforms/Laws • Initiatives for Hydro-Power Development in India • Review of NHPC Power Projects
• Hydro-Power Development in North Indian States • Hydro-Power Pricing in North Indian States • Conclusion and Policy Options • References.
11. Economic Valuation of North Western Himalayan Biodiversity: The Case of Dachigam National Park in Jammu and Kashmir . 219
— Mohammad Younus Bhat and M.S. Bhatt
• Introduction • Problem statement • Case Study • Travel Cost Method: Design And Application • Results: Empirical Estimates From Econometric Models
• Policy Implications and Conclusions • References • Notes.
12. Reviving the Era of Interdependence: An Appraisal of India-Pakistan Trade from 1947 to 1965 . 241
— Sajad Padder
• First Period—1950-51 to 1954-55 • Imports into India • Exports from India • Second Period-1955-56 to December 1959 • Imports into India • Exports from India • Third Period-1960 and Subsequent Years • Conclusion • References.
13. Need for Humane Governance in North India: A Study of Urban Kashmir . 259
— Prof Gull Mohammad Wani
• Abstract • Introduction • Humane Governance in Kashmir • PDP-BJP Agenda of Alliance • Kashmiri Youth and the Concept of Ethical City • Planning as Urban Mission • Conservation and Community • Stray Dog Menace • Museums and Antiques • Conclusion • References.
14. Spatio-temporal Variability of Non-Communicable Diseases in North Western Himalayan region - A Geographical Study of Kashmir Valley . 271
— Ishtiaq A. Mayer, Bashir A. Lone, Sheraz A. Lone.
Manzoor A. Wani
• Introduction • Study Area • Materials And Methods • Calculation of Incidence Rate • Measuring Disease Intensity • Composite Index • Software’s used
• Statistical Data and its Analysis • Rheumatic Fever • Hypertension • Ischemic Heart Disease • Diabetes • Bronchitis • Asthma • Cancer • Disease Intensity
• Conclusion and Suggestions • References.
Index . 297
www.gyanbooks.com is not be responsible for typing or photographical mistake if any. Prices are subject to change without notice.
© 2003-18 GYAN BOOKS PRIVATE LIMITED. All Rights Reserved.
Last updated: 20-Oct-2018 Designed by IndiaPRIDE.com